Ampthill Forest is an historic area of majestic ancient woods. The forest is formed from a number of woodlands spread out along the Greensand Ridge. The woods include semi-natural broadleaf woodlands, and coniferous plantations, all rich in wildlife and archaeology. Some of the woods have full public access, in others the public access is limited to formal routes. The woods include:
- Maulden Wood - a fantastic network of paths and trails. Please see the Maulden Page for more information.
- Rowney Warren (TL 124 404), this wood is largely coniferous on sandy soils and has lots of interest with hills, areas of heather and bracken, birch and pine. It has a modest car park and a great network of trails.
- Potton Wood (TL 247 498) is an ancient coppice woodland, and contains a rich range of plants and animals. It is a designated Site of Special Scientific Interest.
- Stanford Wood (TL 163 404) is a small peaceful pine wood, on level ground. The wood gives firm walking all year round. A small lake is hidden away in the wood, and is a haven for wildlife.
- Wilstead Wood (TL 073 438) is an ancient woodland site which is now a pleasant mix of semi-natural broadleaf woodland and conifer plantations. Pedestrian access is limited to the main ride network. The wood is one of a handful of ancient woodlands in the Marston Vale Community Forest.
What do other visitors say?
3 StarsWilson, 31/Mar/2017
Speaking as a dog owner, there is no excuse for dog owners not picking up their dog's poo. I keep my dog on the lead and come with a supply of poo bags. The poo problem is not just at Rowney Warren, its everywhere. One thing I will point out though is that there should be more poo bins.....one is not adequate.
Having said all that, Rowney Warren is still a great place for a walk.
Forestry Commission Response
We do have two bins at the woodland at the moment.
1 StarH , 29/Nov/2016
Rowney Warren is lovely but sadly spoilt by dogs mess. Why are owners so irresponsible?! It's not hard to pick it up! I have a small child and we spent the entire time avoiding poo - it was everywhere. This is the second time I've been this year and both times it has been as bad. I won't be returning now, such a shame that some selfish people ruin it for others
1 StarElizabeth Fisher, 15/Oct/2016
Omg, I can't believe how lazy dog owners are, Rowney Warren isn't a nice place to walk because of dog mess everywhere. PICK IT UP, don't be selfish, think of others who want to enjoy walking in these woods. Perhaps dogs should be kept on leads then the owners will know where their dogs have messed and maybe they will pick it up! DISGUSTING.