Forestry Commission logo

Forestry Statistics 2017 - UK-Grown Timber

Pulp & paper

previous | next  

The integrated pulp & paper mills in the UK consumed a total of 0.5 million tonnes of material (all softwood) in 2016, a 6% decrease from the 2015 total (Table 2.20).

UK roundwood represented 84% of the inputs for the integrated pulp & paper mills in 2016, with the remaining 16% coming from sawmill products.

Table 2.20 Inputs for the integrated pulp & paper mills1, 2007-2016

Year

UK roundwood2

Sawmill products

Total

thousand green tonnes

2007

472 161 633

2008

515 152 667

2009

 511 120 631

2010

428 98 526

2011

453 99 552

2012

461 79 540

2013

465 83 548

2014

465 97 562

2015

435 101 536

2016

423 82 505

Source: UK Forest Products Association

Notes:

1. Excludes inputs of recycled paper and cardboard. All inputs are softwood.

2. UK roundwood derived from stemwood.

Figure 2.3 Inputs to integrated pulp and paper mills

Figure 2.3 Inputs to integrated pulp and paper mills

Source: UK Forest Products Association

Links to Forestry Statistics 2017