National Forest Inventory
This section contains interim results from the National Forest Inventory (NFI). The statistics are based on field survey data combined with information from the NFI woodland map, which is a spatial representation of woodland areas in Great Britain.
The first cycle of the NFI field survey began in 2010 and will be completed by the end of 2015. Therefore full field survey results from the NFI are not yet available. The figures presented in this chapter are interim estimates at 31 March 2012, published in the NFI "50-year forecast of softwood timber availability" and "50-year forecast of hardwood timber availability" reports, released in April 2014. Both reports are available at www.forestry.gov.uk/inventory.
The figures presented in Tables 1.6 to 1.9 (and Figures 1.3, 1.4a and 1.4b) relate to stocked areas. These differ from the woodland areas presented in earlier tables, as stocked areas exclude felled areas and (for non-FC land) areas of integral open space.
The figures on growing stock presented in Tables 1.10 and 1.11 form the basis for the Forestry Commission's availability forecasts (see Tables 2.4a and 2.4b).
Further information on the National Forest Inventory is available at www.forestry.gov.uk/inventory
Links to Forestry Statistics 2015
- Woodland Areas and Planting
- Woodland area by age: conifers
- Woodland area by age: broadleaves
- Woodland area by age: Summary
- Woodland area by species: conifers
- Woodland area by species: broadleaves
- Woodland area by species: summary
- Growing stock by species: conifers
- Growing stock by species: broadleaves
- Softwood availability forecast
- Sources: Woodland Inventories
- Tables for download