Woodland Areas and Planting
This chapter contains statistics on:
Estimates for England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are included in addition to UK totals. International comparisons are provided in the International Forestry chapter. Further information on the data sources and methodology used to compile the figures is provided in the Sources chapter.
Figures on woodland area and certified woodland area at March 2013 and on new planting and restocking for the period 2012-13 were previously published in "Woodland Area, Planting and Restocking: 2013 edition", released on 13 June 2013. Figures for the latest year have not been revised from those previously published. For information on revisions to data for previous years, see the Woodland Areas and Planting section of the Sources chapter.
A copy of all woodland area and planting tables is available to download as an Excel spreadsheet from the Tables for Download page. Longer time series are also available for some tables. These can be accessed from our Woodland Area and Planting Statistics web page at www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-7aqknx.
The main findings are:
- The area of woodland in the UK at 31 March 2013 is estimated to be 3.1 million hectares. This represents 13% of the total land area in the UK, 10% in England, 15% in Wales, 18% in Scotland and 8% in Northern Ireland.
- Of the total UK woodland area, 0.9 million hectares is owned or managed by the Forestry Commission (in Great Britain) or the Forest Service (in Northern Ireland).
- The total certified woodland area in the UK at 31 March 2013 is 1.4 million hectares, including all Forestry Commission/Forest Service woodland. Overall, 44% of the UK woodland area is certified.
- Eleven thousand hectares of new woodland were created in the UK in 2012-13, mostly with broadleaved species.
- Thirteen thousand hectares of woodland were restocked in the UK in 2012-13, mostly with conifers.
- A total of 388 sites were served with a Statutory Plant Health Notice in 2012-13, requiring a total of 2.2 thousand hectares of woodland to be felled.