Forestry Commission logo

User Comments

Your comments

You have still not chosen to answer as to why you deem it necessary to charge to carriage drive in the new forest when, walking and so called Nordic walking, dog walking both private and commercial , horse riding and cycling are all free.

Also do you check that all the participants have paid when they do drives from marchwood and others areas which are not run by the bds?

Andrew Hannam, 24/Apr/2017

Thank you for you comments. We are sorry for the delay in your initial query, which has been passed up to the Recreation Manager for a response. He has asked that you send your questions, along with your contact details to for the attention of Richard Burke to as he will then be able to provide you with a full response via e-mail.

Forestry Commission Response

It is totally wrong that cyclists and walkers can use the forests and car parks free yet horse riders and drivers have to pay.In addition, when we had a driving

permit we had to pay 25 extra for each key so it doesn't include a deposit for a gate key!!

Anonymous, 25/Aug/2016
1 Star 1 Star

This website is woefully lacking useful information. The map is abysmal - it's essentially a green blob with a few named black spots on it. I also fully agree with the other comments about the disproportionate and unjustified charges to horseriders. You should be encouraging them to come to the New Forest - not the opposite!

Kelli, 25/Nov/2015

Thank you for your comment and for alerting our attention to the error on the car park map. We have now uploaded a clear map of the car parks in the New Forest. Horse drawn permits are charged for both the New Forest and Dorset and permit access through the Inclosures which normally a wheeled vehicle would not. The charge covers administration fees as well as a deposit for a gate key to access the Inclosures. We do not charge for horse riding apart from in Dorset where again there is an administration fee. This will apply to those wishing to ride on Forestry Commission land in Dorset but off bridleway. For further information about horse riding in Dorset please contact 0300 067 4640

Forestry Commission Response

I walk my dogs a few times a week (on a lead) in Bushy Leaze woods (Ackender Woods) near Alton and Beech in Hampshire. Many years ago I used to ride my pony and initially (some 30 years ago) permits were not required and then they were introduced. I am considering taking my young son on his Shetland pony with me while I walk the dogs so could you please tell me if a permit is required and the charge. (the pony is not ridden often and is therefore unshod). Please advise. Thank you.

Mrs J Paterson, 15/Nov/2015

Thank you for your comment. The riding permits for our woods in the Bushy Leaze Woods Bramshill area are administered by TROT (Tollride Off-Road Trust) - their contact is:- TROT Office on 01622 735599 (Monday to Friday 10am-2pm) or e-mail us on if you have any queries.

Forestry Commission Response

England's Woods and Forests are cared for by Forest Enterprise England, an agency of the Forestry Commission.