Research Scientist and Forest Research, Health Safety & Environment Advisor
Tel: +44 (0)300 067 5900
Tel direct: +44 (0)300 067 5956
Fax: +44 (0)131 445 5124
Northern Research Station
Midlothian EH25 9SY
Colin moved from the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology to Join the Forestry Commission in 1981 and apart for a three year spell at the Scottish Agricultural Scientific Agency, has remained at the Northern Research Station working on a wide variety of research projects over the years. In 2002 he took on the role of Northern Research Station (NRS) Health & Safety Advisor and became the Forest Research Health Safety & Environment Advisor in 2010. Following the devolution of the Forestry Commission Safety and Health team into the Countries during 2016, Colin has also taken on the role of providing H&S support to the Forestry Commission Central Services and Corporate Forestry Support centres as they go through a period of service transition.
- Forest Research and Central Services/Corporate Forestry Support, Health, Safety & Environment Advisor, Provide Forest Research and Forestry Commission Shared Services with health, safety and environment audit, management and advice. Liaise with FC and FR executive boards to maintain and develop H&S policy and strategy. Manage FR H&S Intranet pages.
- Centre Safety Co-ordinator, co-ordinate and manage the centres H&S needs.
- Project management, Manage the FC Scotland Short Rotation Forestry trials and Forest Management stocking Audits. Run the Plant Quality Testing Service, Provide scientific support to various research programmes across FR.
FC Scotland Short Rotation Forestry Exemplar Trials
Plan experiments, liaise with customer over funding and manage budget, Co-ordinate annual assessments by FR technical support. Organise Internal/external site visits, co-ordinate FR Hydrology/University of Highland and Islands sub reports, analyse growth data and produce master report.
Audit of contract stocking assessments for FC Scotland
Co-ordinate annual assessment of stocking by FR TSU, analyse data and produce internal reports on three districts for FC Scotland. Agree funding and manage budget.
Affiliations and responsibilities
- NEBOSHH certificate in Health & Safety
- EEF/Oxford Brooks Diploma in Health & Safety Management
- Graduate member of the Institute of Occupational Health and Safety
- FR H&S practitioner on the Forestry Commission H&S Strategy Group
- FR and CS/CFS H&S Committee Member and Secretary (NRS)
- Radiation Protection Supervisor (NRS site)
Main recent publications and knowledge exchange activities
Peer reviewed papers
Butler, A.J., Barbier, N., Cermák, J., Koller, J., McEvoy, C., Nicoll, B., Perks, M., Thornily, C., Grace, J., and Meir, P. (2010). Estimates and relationships between above and below ground resource exchange areas in a Sitka Spruce managed forest. Tree Physiology 30(6): 705-714. doi:10.1093/treephys/tpq022.
McEvoy, C. (2016). Short Rotation Forestry Trials in Scotland, Progress Report 2015. (see link to all reports above).
McEvoy, C. (2016). OGB4 Stocking Density Assessment, Audit of Procedures (Inverness, Borders and Galloway). Internal FC Scotland Report.
McEvoy, C. (2015). OGB4 Stocking Density Assessment, Audit of Procedures (Lochaber, Lowlands and Angus). Internal FC Scotland Report.
McEvoy, C. (2014). OGB4 Stocking Density Assessment, Audit of Procedures (Galloway, North Highland and Tay). Internal FC Scotland Report.
Site visits to SRF Exemplar Trials
Accompanied visits to Alyth (1), East Grange (3) and Auchlochan (1) trial sites during 2016 to show progress and potential for using SRF within Scotland.