Sending us feedback or making a complaint

We do welcome all feedback.  We also hope that you will not find any cause for concern in your dealings with Forest Research. However, if you do wish to get in touch with us for either reason, you can contact any of our offices or you may wish to contact us using our online form or by email (

Contact details

If you are not getting the help from us you would like….

We shall do everything we can to deal with your complaint to your full satisfaction but if you feel that our response does not fully address your concerns you have the opportunity to take the matter further by contacting our Chief Executive who will ensure that any sustained complaints are given further, impartial consideration.

Alternatively, depending on your location or the nature of your enquiry, you may contact the Forestry Commission Director General, Director for Scotland, Director for England or Director for Wales.

Contact details

If you are still not getting the help you would like from us….

We aim to resolve all complaints within the organisation. However, should you remain dissatisfied after using the  complaints system, you can refer the matter through your local MP or MSP or AM to the appropriate Ombudsman who will consider your case. The Forest Research, through the Forestry Commission agrees to be bound by the recommendations of the Ombudsman. Details on how to contact the respective Ombudsman’s offices in each country are given below:

  • GB/England
    Cases should be referred to the Parliamentary Commissioner for Administration (tel: 0845 015 4033 or 020 7217 4613). Further information is available at
  • Scotland
    Your complaint must be submitted to the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman, 4 Melville Street, Edinburgh, EH3 7NS within 12 months of the issue arising (tel: 0870 011 5378). Further information regarding the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman is available at
  • Wales
    Cases should be referred to the Welsh Administration Ombudsman at the 5th floor, Capital Tower, Greyfriars Road, Cardiff, CF10 3AG (tel: 0845 601 0987). Further information is available at

Complaints in respect of compliance with the Freedom of Information Act

If you have a complaint regarding a response you have received from us in reply to a request for information, which you have been unable to resolve with the local staff involved then please contact a senior manager as described above. If you then still remain dissatisfied, you can write to the Information Commissioner, marking you letter ‘FOI Complaint’:

The Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane,

How to complain via the Information Commissioner.