Alice Holt Lodge
Surrey GU10 4LH
Hugh has been working for Forest Research since October 2016 where he carries out a wide range of field work in support of scientific staff within Forest Research.
He graduated from Bangor University in 2012 with an MSc in Environmental Forestry, and is now a full member of the institute of chartered foresters.
Previously he has worked as a Forestry Consultant and woodland manager for two private companies (2012-2016). In these previous roles he dealt with delivering a wide range of environmental forestry services to institutional and private clients such as woodland management planning, timber sales and contractor management. Tree safety surveys also played a role within these jobs and he is a LANTRA trained Professional Tree Inspector.
Prior to working as a forestry consultant and manager he worked as a forest ranger for a large community woodland in Bedfordshire and a small hardwood sawmill.
Undertakes a wide range of field work in support of scientific staff within Forest Research and also contracts with external clients. Specific skills and experience include:
- Nursery operations and vegetative propagation techniques
- Soil Sampling and on site analysis
- GIS mapping
- The establishment and maintenance of both field and nursery experiments
- Layout of experimental plots for field trials
- Seed extraction
- Wide range of assessments including tree canopy, stem form, biomass and plant health assessments
- Forest mensuration; Including use of vertex, relascope
- Tree health surveys: Pitch pine canker, Chestnut Blight & Oriental Gall Wasp, Red Band Needle Blight, Oak Processionary Moth, Ash dieback, Asian & Citrus Longhorn Beetle
- Undertaking both national and intensive Phytophthora ramorum and kernoviae surveys
- Undertaking FRM (Forest Reproductive Material) seed stand inspections
- Tree planting and direct seeding
- Deer damage / woodland browsing assessments
- Use of Environmental Site Classification (ESC)
- Operations using 4WD vehicles and light agricultural tractors.
Other affiliations and responsibilities
Professional member of the Institute of Chartered Foresters