Forestry Commission logo

Organising Your Own Event / Getting Permission

An organised event is the bringing together of a group of people, at a particular place and time, for an activity that has been specifically planned for them.

Our woodlands are an attractive area for informal recreation and well-managed sporting or challenging events, but it is also a protected conservation area. The Forestry Commission is keen to help organisers run a successful event, but also seeks to minimise the potential impact on the forest and avoid conflict with other users.

Why do I need a permit?

Many recreational activities which take place on Forestry Commission are  in breach to the Forestry Commission Byelaws. Therefore the Forestry Commission as the land managers will issue permits to event organisers so the activity can take place.

In addition to this we are also able to check that your event/activity is not clashing with anything else occurring on the Forest (for example timber operations) or another event.Model plane flying at Beaulieu Heath. New Forest

 We will also make sure that your proposed route/ location avoids sensitive wildlife habitats and does not cause damage to features of historic interest.

Does my activity require permission?

If the activity you are organising is taking place on Forestry Commission land it is always best to check in advance whether permission is required. Some of the activities which require permission are:

  •  Duke of Edinburgh Award Expeditions
  • Organised cycle rides, walks and horse rides (including sponsored and charity events)
  • Group visits to the forest including Scouts/ Guides
  • Filming and Photography (professional companies and students)
  • Driving a pony and cart in the New Forest
  • Horse riding and Driving a pony and cart in our Dorset Woodlands
  • Orienteering
  • Scientific ResearchHorse riders in the New Forest

This list is not exhaustive so please do not hesitate to contact us on 0300 067 4640  to check if a permit is required.

How do I apply for a permit?

Due to the number of activities taking place on the Forest we strongly recommend that you contact the office to discuss your event/activity so we can check that your proposed event will not clash with anything else going on and provisionally note that your event is happening. Please note that until we have issued your permission all requests are provisional and that a permit can take up to 6 weeks to be issued.

To apply for a permit please complete the application form or e-mail  full details of the activity/event you are planning, along with your full contact details (including phone number and postal address) to:

southern.permissions@forestryengland/.uk or please contact us on 0300 067 4601.

 Is there a charge?

There is a charge for some permissions, please contact us on  0300 067 4601 to discuss if a fee is payable.

Last updated: 30th June 2018

England's Woods and Forests are cared for by Forest Enterprise England, an agency of the Forestry Commission.