Forestry Commission logo

Organising an Event

How can I organise an event of my own at Haldon Forest Park?


Haldon Forest Park is an increasingly popular venue for all kinds of events.


Step 1 – Think about your event. This might sound obvious, but you need to take a few things into account, such as:

  • Will you be using our existing tracks and trails? Do you have a route in mind?
  • How many people do you expect to participate? Will the facilities (car park, toilets, etc) be sufficient for these numbers?
  • Is your event hazardous at all? Will you need to arrange emergency vehicle access or medical support?

We encourage all event organisers to carry out a risk assessment. If you haven’t done one before don’t worry! You can see examples of Risk Assessments on the Health & Safety Executive website. You will also need to ensure you have adequate insurance cover.

Much of our woodland is dedicated as open access under the Countryside Rights of Way Act (CRoW). If a large event requires us to close areas of the wood, we need to seek permission, which is also subject to a fee.

If you would like some advice, or just an informal chat about your idea for an event, please contact a Ranger.

Step 2 – Request an application form.

Write to:

West England Forest District
Bank House
GL16 8BA

or e-mail

Step 3 - Return the form to us eight weeks in advance of your event, and we will contact you if we have any questions or concerns.

Step 4 - If a formal permission is required you will receive a document in the post, to sign and return, confirming your event.

Can I book a ranger-led walk or visit for my group?


School group making sculptures in the forest

The Forestry Commission has appointed A Touch of the Wild to run learning provision on its behalf.

You can also find a number of education and learning resources online, so that you may lead your own visit.


What's of interest

Haldon Forest Park could be the perfect venue for your event

Related pages

England's Woods and Forests are cared for by Forest Enterprise England, an agency of the Forestry Commission.