Forestry Commission logo

Own or manage a woodland?


For information on the types of grant that may be available to plant or manage woodlands visit the English Woodland Grant Scheme pages.

Find out what grants are available in Yorkshire and The Humber.

Yorkshire and The Humber Prospectus 2007.

Felling licences

You will need a felling licence from us to fell trees unless an exemption applies.

Environmental Impact Assessment

Regulations which affect afforestation, deforestation, forest roads and forestry quarries.

Your woodland officer

Your local woodland officer can offer advice and assistance.

North Yorkshire (Scarborough, Ryedale, Hambleton, North York Moors National Park): Nigel Rylance (01904 448778)

North Yorkshire (Richmondshire, Craven, Harrogate, Yorkshire Dales National Park): Jeremy Dick (01904 448778)

North Yorkshire (York, Selby), West Yorkshire (Bradford, Leeds, Calderdale, Wakefield, Kirklees): Sam Cooper (01904 448778)

South Yorkshire (Barnsley, Doncaster, Sheffield, Rotherham), East Riding of Yorkshire including Hull, North & North East Lincolnshire: Chris Grice (01904 448778)

Sources of woodland advice

Royal Forestry Society is a Registered Charity with over 4,000 members drawn from right across the board - woodland owners, land managers, foresters, students, keen amateurs, arborists, landscapers, timber merchants, ecologists.

The Small Woods Association is Britain’s leading organisation in supporting and promoting the work done by the owners and carers of small woodlands.