Consulting others about grant and felling applications
Before deciding whether to approve applications for woodland planting and tree felling, the Forestry Commission consults local authorities and other organisations with statutory powers in relation to land use. Details of all applications for tree felling in England are displayed on our Register of New Planting and Felling for 28 days.
Notifying neighbours about proposals
It is strongly advised that applicants discuss their proposals with neighbours whose properties might be affected; in some cases we will make this a requirement. Applicants must record details of any discussions that take place and include this with their application.
How you can make comments about new planting and felling applications
Find out about cases in your area by looking at our Register of Grant Schemes and Felling. You can get further details of a case by contacting the Forestry Commission regional office within whose boundary the local authority lies.
Consulting others about applications for consent under the Environmental Impact Assessment (Forestry) Regulations 1999
The Forestry Commission consults local authorities and other organisations, with statutory powers in relation to land use, before making a decision about applications for consent. Details of all the decisions the Forestry Commission makes under these regulations are displayed on the Register of Environmental Impact Assessment.
- The Forestry Commission consults local authorities and other statutory organisations about tree planting and felling
- Details of applications will appear on the Register of Grant Schemes and Felling
- Applicants are required to notify neighbours who might be affected by the proposals
- All applications must meet the requirements of the UK Forestry Standard
- The Forestry Commission also consults about applications for consent under the Environmental Impact Assessment (Forestry) Regulations
- Details of these applications can be found on the Register of Environmental Impact Assessment
Meeting the UK Forestry Standard
Applications only appear on the Register if they meet the requirements of The UK Forestry Standard (PDF 974kb). The Standard sets out the criteria and standards for the sustainable management of forests and woodlands in the UK. Order a copy of the Standard from by using this e-mail link firstname.lastname@example.org.