Forestry Commission logo

Other useful pesticide guidance

Non-Forestry Commission sources of guidance.

Chemicals Regulation Directorate:
The Chemicals Regulation Directorate (CRD) is part of the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), and is responsible for pesticide legislation and safety in Britain. The CRD website includes a list of all currently approved products and text for Extension of Authorisation for Minor Use approvals (formerly called specific off label approvals). It is a legal requirement to obtain a copy of the relevant approval before using products with an Extension of Authorisation for Minor Use.

Health and Safety Executive:
The HSC and HSE regulate health and safety in the UK, and provide essential guidance on safe working practices including the use of pesticides.

Environment Agency / Scottish Environmental Protection Agency / Natural Resources Wales:
These organisations should be contacted prior to using pesticides in or close to water.

Provide advice and training in the safe use of pesticides.

UK Woodland Assurance Standard (UKWAS):
Contains guidance on the pesticide use policies that must be adopted for those managers intending to conform to the UK Woodland Assurance Standard. One important requirement is that managers aim to avoid the use of pesticides, unless there is no practical alternative.

British Crop Production Council:
Informs and influences decision makers, the scientific community, farmers and their advisers and the general public about issues which affect crop production.

National Proficiency Tests Council:
Promotes competence and professionalism in the workforce of the land-based and related industries.