Whether you've just bought your first bike, or you're happy shredding through rock gardens, Haldon Forest offers a fantastic opportunity for natural cycling. Situated just outside of Exeter, the trails give beautiful views back across the city and the surrounding countryside.
Learn to ride your bike in the forest! Cycling in the forest is one of the safest and most relaxing ways to pick up confidence and develop cycling skills.
The Green graded Discovery Trail is a great all-ability trail for walkers and beginner cyclists. There are fun features along the route for children, regular resting points and some stunning views to be enjoyed.
Learn at your own pace with our skills area and pump track, found at the main car park. Designed to improve your technique, these will give you a taster of what to expect on the forest trails.
Ready for a challenge of fitness, technique and skill? Craving your next adrenaline fix? Our famous mountain bike routes will spoil you for choice.
- The introductory Blue Challenge Trail is a great confidence builder when moving on from the Discovery Trail.
- The moderate Blue Spicers Trail offers gentle gradients and narrow sections for once you've mastered the basics of cycling and are ready to move on from the Discovery Trail.
- The Blue graded Kiddens Trail is a good progression from the Spicers Trail, offering more challenging terrain with greater changes in gradient.
- The Red Ridge Ride Trail follows the ridge and explores some of the most beautiful parts of the forest. This is a technical, fast and flowing trail with tight corners and lively descents to test your reflexes.
- The Black Ridge Ride Extreme section is an optional technical loop that is more demanding than the previous sections of the Ridge Ride Trail. Expect roots, rocks, berms, drops, a step down (and a big grin at the bottom).
- Print a map before you go - available to download here
- The Ridge Cafe (near the main car park) will quench your thirst and satisfy your hunger. Serving a selection of local, organic, fairtrade food and drink, the Ridge Cafe is a big supporter of local suppliers. You can eat indoors warmed by the woodburner in winter, outside on the sunny decking in summer, or takeaway to find your own special picnic spot!
- Shop and hire bikes from our excellent local bike shop Forest Cycle Hire. Forest Cycle Hire can be found next to the Rangers' Office in the hub. For bookings and information call 01392 833768. * Please note that over the winter period Forest Cycle Hire is closed Mondays and Tuesdays.*