Kirkhill is a working forest which really has something for everyone! There are waymarked routes for all users whether you are walking, cycling or horse riding. Also a mountain bike fun park near the car park.
There are great views all round from the summit of Tyrebagger Hill at the Tappie Tower. The main entrance is less then 5 miles (7km) from the outskirts of Aberdeen - a real 'green lung' for the city.
You can download a copy of our Aberdeenshire Walks leaflet in What's of Interest. If you want larger scale versions of the trail maps, please follow the link to any of the trails. Each will have a downloadable map, including distances and times.
- Check before you go - for details of trail closures, diversions and changes to listed events see the updates page.
Please note the following Car Park Charges
- Any vehicle for 1hr - £1.00
Car for up to 3hrs - £1.50
Car all day - £2.00
Minibus/coach all day - £8.00
Annual Season Tickets are also available
Room for all users
This wood is very popular with walkers, horse riders and especially with cyclists. There is room for everyone so please be considerate to others.
Try the permanent orienteering course. Download the orienteering course map (PDF 493k).
The main car park is at the south end of the forest, just off the A96 (Aberdeen-bound side) and has spaces for buses and larger vehicles as well as for about 40 cars.
There is a smaller car park for about six cars at the north end of Kirkhill which gives access to the long trail. It is at East Woodlands, on a minor road, but links by trail to Kirkhill.
Take 307 bus from Aberdeen to Inverurie. Ask to be let off at the crest of the hill before Blackburn, or go to Blackburn and walk back two miles (Please note the A96 is a busy dual carriageway so this is not ideal). You'll need to cross to the Aberdeen-bound side for Kirkhill. Please take care crossing the road.
How to get there:
For details of public transport visit http://www.travelinescotland.com
Other places to go in Forests of Moray and Aberdeenshire
What's on in Forests of Moray and Aberdeenshire
- Teddy's Woodland Adventure Thursday 4 July 2013
- Teddy's Woodland Adventure at the Bin Quarry Tuesday 9 July 2013
- Mini Beast Hunt at Tyrebagger Thursday 11 July 2013
- Mini Beast Hunt at The Bin Tuesday 16 July 2013
- Magic Forest at Countesswells Thursday 18 July 2013
- Sensory Explosion Tuesday 23 July 2013
- Nature Treasure Hunt at Dunnottar Woods Thursday 25 July 2013
- Tracking for the Brave at The Bin Tuesday 30 July 2013
AugustView all events
|Kirkhill Mountain Bike Fun Park
|There is a permanent orienteering course.|
Contact:Forest District Office