This chapter contains information about UK imports and exports of wood products, and about the level of apparent consumption estimated from data for UK production, imports and exports.
Information on imports and exports mainly comes from the Overseas Trade Statistics compiled by HM Revenue & Customs. Estimates are provided at a UK level only. International comparisons of apparent consumption are provided in the International Forestry chapter. Further information on the data sources and methodology used to compile the figures is provided in the Sources chapter.
Figures for 2014 were previously published in "UK Wood Production and Trade: 2014 Provisional Figures", released on 14 May 2015. Some figures for 2014 have been revised from those previously published. For further details on revisions, see the Trade section of the Sources chapter.
A copy of all trade tables is available to download as an Excel spreadsheet from the Tables for Download page.
The main findings are:
- 6.4 million cubic metres of sawnwood in 2014, a 17% increase from the 2013 figure;
- 3.3 million cubic metres of wood-based panels in 2014, a 10% increase from 2013;
- 7.0 million cubic metres of wood pellets in 2014, a 40% increase from 2013;
- 5.9 million tonnes of paper in 2014, unchanged from 2013.
- The total value of wood product imports in 2014 was £7.2 billion, a 7% increase from 2013; of which £4.2 billion was pulp and paper.
- Sawn softwood, particleboard, fibreboard, and paper and paperboard were overwhelmingly imported from EU countries in 2014.
- Sawn hardwood and wood pulp imports originated from a range of both EU and non-EU countries in 2014.
- The vast majority of UK imports of plywood and wood pellets in 2014 came from countries outwith the EU.
- The total value of wood product exports in 2014 was £1.7 billion, a 3% decrease from 2013; of which £1.5 billion was pulp and paper.
Links to Forestry Statistics 2015
- Apparent consumption of wood in the UK
- Apparent consumption of wood products in the UK
- Flow of recovered paper
- UK import quantities by product
- UK export quantities by product
- UK import values by product
- UK export values by product
- Origin of wood imports
- International Forestry
- Sources: Conversion factors
- Sources: Trade
- Tables for download