Forestry Commission logo

Forestry Statistics 2015 - UK-Grown Timber

Woodfuel and pellets

previous | next  

Wood pellets and briquettes are processed wood products that can be made from roundwood, sawmill products and/or recycled wood. Some of the wood used to make wood pellets and briquettes will be accounted for elsewhere in this release (e.g. in Tables 2.30 and 2.31). Wood pellets and briquettes are often used for woodfuel, but pellets may also be used for other purposes (such as horse bedding or cat litter).

A total of 354 thousand tonnes of wood pellets and briquettes are estimated to have been produced in the UK in 2014. This represents an increase of 18% from the 2013 estimate of 301 thousand tonnes and continues the upward trend since 2009.

Over the five-year period from 2010 to 2014, roundwood accounted for 47% of the fibres used for pellet production, with the remaining 53% originating from other sources including sawmill products and recycled wood.

Table 2.32 Wood pellet production, 2009 - 2014

Year                                            

Total

 

                     thousand tonnes

2009

                                                118

2010

                                                197

2011

                                                244

2012

                                                278

2013

301

2014

354

Source: Survey of UK Pellet and Briquette Production 

 

Links to Forestry Statistics 2015