Forestry Statistics 2012 - International Forestry

Wood removals

previous | next  

A total of 3.4 billion m3 underbark of wood was removed from global forests in 2010, of which over half (55%) was for use as woodfuel and the remaining 45% was industrial roundwood (for use by wood processors) (Table 9.4).

North & Central America and Europe together accounted for around three fifths (61%) of all industrial roundwood removals in 2010. Globally, removals of industrial roundwood increased by 7% between 2009 and 2010, mainly resulting from a 13% increase in Europe.

Around three quarters of woodfuel removals took place in Asia and Africa. Globally, removals of woodfuel increased by 1% between 2009 and 2010.

Table 9.4 Wood removals by region, 1990-2010

Region

1990

1995

20002005

 2009

2010
million m3 underbark

Industrial roundwood

           

  Europe

 

 

   

 

 

     UK

6

7

8 8

8

8

     EU-271

316

292

339 368

301

 336

     Total Europe

515 405 479 540 444 504

  Africa

61 67 70 74 74  74

  Asia

258

263

246 254

259

 268

  North and Central America

595 603 632 635 418  441

  Oceania

33 41 47 50 50  54

  South America

110 134 145 176 188  196

  World

1 571

1 512

1 621 1 729

1 433

1 537

Woodfuel

           

  Europe

           

     UK

0 0 0 0 1  1

     EU-271

67 66 69 75 83  85

     Total Europe

138 107 133 139  141 149

  Africa

445 507 536 576 608  617

  Asia

897 849 808 792 771  765

  North and Central America

162 145 129 130 129  128

  Oceania

9 11 13 11 11  11

  South America

162 174 186 193 198  198

  World

1 814 1 792 1 805 1 842  1 858 1 868

Total roundwood

           

  Europe

           

     UK

6 8 8 9 9  10

     EU-271

383 358 408 443 385  421

     Total Europe

653 512 612 679  585 654

  Africa

506 574 606 650 682  691

  Asia

1 155 1 112 1 054 1 046 1 030  1 033

  North and Central America

757 748 761 765 547  569

  Oceania

42 52 60 61 61  64

  South America

272 307 332 369 387  394

  World

3 385 3 304 3 425 3 571  3 291 3 405

Source: FAO.

Notes:

1. Cyprus is included in EU-27 total but is part of FAO's Asia region.

These figures are outside the scope of National Statistics

Figure 9.5 Wood removals by region, 2010

Figure 9.5 Wood removals by region

Source: FAO.

These figures are outside the scope of National Statistics

Links to Forestry Statistics 2012