Forestry Statistics 2011 - International Forestry

Wood removals

previous | next  

A total of 3.3 billion m3 underbark of wood was removed from global forests in 2009, of which over half (57%) was for use as woodfuel and the remaining 43% was industrial roundwood (for use by wood processors).

North and Central America and Europe accounted for almost two thirds of all industrial roundwood removals in 2009.  Globally, removals of industrial roundwood decreased by 8% between 2008 and 2009.  This decline was greatest in North and Central America (a 12% decrease) and in Europe (a 10% decrease).

Around three quarters of woodfuel removals took place in Asia and Africa.  Globally, removals of woodfuel were at a similar level in 2009 to the figure in 2008.

Table 9.4 Wood removals by region, 1990-2009

Region

1990

1995

20002005

2008

2009
million m3 underbark

Industrial roundwood

           

  Europe

 

 

   

 

 

     UK

6

7

8 8

8

8

     EU-271

316

292

339 368

334

310

     Total Europe

515 405 479 540 506 455

  Africa

57 66 69 72 73 72

  Asia

258

263

231 242

256

240

  North and Central America

595 603 632 635 481 421

  Oceania

33 41 47 50 54 50

  South America

110 134 145 176 185 187

  World

1 567

1 512

1 604 1 714

1 554

1 424

Woodfuel

           

  Europe

           

     UK

0 0 0 0 1 1

     EU-271

73 71 73 75 81 83

     Total Europe

143 112 138 139 145 141

  Africa

440 505 534 575 595 602

  Asia

883 836 807 797 777 771

  North and Central America

162 145 129 130 131 127

  Oceania

9 11 13 11 11 11

  South America

161 174 186 194 197 198

  World

1 799 1 782 1 807 1 846 1 855 1 851

Total roundwood

           

  Europe

           

     UK

6 8 8 9 8 8

     EU-271

388 364 412 443 416 393

     Total Europe

659 517 617 679 652 596

  Africa

497 572 603 647 668 674

  Asia

1 141 1 099 1 038 1 039 1 032  1 011

  North and Central America

757 748 761 765 611 548

  Oceania

42 52 60 61 65 61

  South America

271 307 331 369 382 385

  World

3 366 3 294 3 410 3 560 3 410 3 275

Not National Statistics.

Source: FAO.

Notes:

1. Cyprus is included in EU-27 total but is part of FAO's Asia region.

Figure 9.5 Wood removals by region, 2009

Figure 9.5 Wood removals by region

Not National Statistics.

Source: FAO.

Links to Forestry Statistics 2011

Useful sites