Publications about environmentally acceptable measures of preventing and controlling damage to Britain's trees
Birch dieback in Scotland (PDF-723K)
By Sarah Green.
Forestry Commission Information Note 72.
Controlling grey squirrel damage to woodlands (PDF-1779K)
By Brenda Mayle, Mark Ferryman and Harry Pepper.
Forestry Commission Practice Note 4.
Dothistroma needle blight - Field guide 2012 (PDF-2536K)
Sampling guidance, symptoms and further information.
Dutch elm disease diagnosis (PDF-838K)
Information sheet describing symptoms and how to confirm the diagnosis.
Horse chestnut leaf miner (PDF-204K)
Monitoring the spread - can you help?
Managing acute oak decline (PDF-1150K)
By Sandra Denman, Susan Kirk and Joan Webber.
Forestry Commission Practice Note 15.
Managing the pine weevil on lowland pine (PDF-900K)
By David Wainhouse, Sara Brough and Brian Greenacre.
Forestry Commission Practice Note 14.
Managing the threat to restocking posed by the large pine weevil, Hylobius abietis: The importance of time of felling of spruce stands (PDF-34K)
By Roger Moore.
Forestry Commission Information Note 60.
By Anna Brown, Sarah Green and Steve Hendry.
Forestry Commission Information Note 67.
Forestry Commission Practice Note 11.
Phytophthora austrocedrae on juniper factsheet (PDF-1215K)
Symptoms and how to collect and send samples for diagnosis.
Phytophthora disease of alder (PDF-1350K)
This revised edition (3rd edition 2004) replaces the previous editions published in 1998 and 2000.
By Joan Webber, John Gibbs and Steven Hendry.
Forestry Commission Information Note 6 (revised)
Research on the impact of a disease caused by a new hybrid pathogen.
Forestry Commission Bulletin 126.
By Clive Brasier.
Forestry Commission Information Note 30
By Sarah Green and Duncan Ray.
Forestry Commission Research Note 4.
Proceedings of the Third International IUFRO Working Party S07.02.09 Meeting in 2004.
Red band needle blight of conifers in Britain (PDF-1200K)
By Anna Brown and Joan Webber.
Forestry Commission Research Note 2.
Red band needle blight of pine (PDF-1376K)
By Anna Brown, David Rose and Joan Webber.
Forestry Commission Information Note 49
By David Wainhouse and Sara Brough.
Foresty Commission Information Note 87.
Shoot diseases of pine (PDF-377K)
By Anna Brown.
Forestry Commission Information Note 68.
Bulletins and handbills showing signs and symptoms of tree pests and diseases and advice on what to do if you suspect the pest or disease is present.
A selection of posters that can be downloaded as PDFs and then printed at a size to suit.
Various - Research Information Notes (RINs)
Out of print publications from the 1990s covering various topics.
Please note that since their publication the products named may have been withdrawn or changed formulation, services may no longer be available, legislation superseded and addresses and contacts changed.
- Application leaflet in the use of 'Permit' and 'Permsect 25EC' for preplanting treatment of young trees against Hylobius abietis and Hylastes spp. (PDF-1510K)
RIN 177 (1990)
- Grey squirrel damage control with warfarin (PDF-1014K)
RIN 180 (1990)
- Approved methods for insecticidal protection of young trees against Hylobius abietis and Hylastes species (PDF-1390K)
RIN 185 (1990)
- Watermark disease of cricket bat willow: Guidelines for growers (PDF-852K)
RIN 197 (1991)
- Rhizophagus grandis as a means of biological control against Dendroctonus micans in Britain (PDF-716K)
RIN 224 (1992)
- Grey squirrel control using modified hoppers (PDF-731K)
RIN 232 (1993)
- Stump treatment against fomes (PDF-954K)
RIN 248 (1994)
- Dutch elm disease in Great Britain (PDF-2486K)
RIN 252 (1994)
- Protected zone surveys in Great Britain for Ips typographus, I. amitinus, I. duplicatus and Dendroctonus micans (PDF-1335K)
RIN 253 (1994)
- Phytophthora root disease of common alder (PDF-741K)
RIN 258 (1994)
- Protecting plants from damage by the large pine weevil and black pine beetles (PDF-1660K)
RIN 268 (1996)
- The use of Marshal/Suscon granules to protect plants from Hylobius damage (PDF-1022K)
RIN 269 (1997)
- Protecting plants from weevil damage by dipping or spraying before planting using an aqueous insecticide (PDF-968K)
RIN 270 (1997)
- The use of Permethrin 12ED through the electrodyn sprayer conveyor to protect forest plants from Hylobius damage (PDF-947K)
RIN 271 (1997)
- The use of post-planting sprays to improve the protection of plants from damage by Hylobius abietis (PDF-2130K)
RIN 272 (1997)
- The potential for biological control to reduce Hylobius abietis damage (PDF-1345K)
RIN 273 (1997)
- Phytophthora disease of alder: The situation in 1995 (PDF-809K)
RIN 277 (1996)
- Crown thinning and dieback of alder in northern Britain (PDF-1038K)
RIN 283 (1996)
- Application of the chemical repellant Aaprotect to prevent winter browsing (PDF-729K)
RIN 289 (1996)
The product is no longer available
- Pine Beauty moth: Its biology, monitoring and control (PDF-1932K)
RIN 290 (1997)
- Cut stump application with Imazapyr (PDF-773K)
RIN 293 (1997)