The old Forest of Savernake is derived from ancient wood pasture management, and has many veteran trees. The forest extends to 1100 hectares (2750 acres) most of which is classified as a Special Site of Scientific Interest (SSSI) as well as being registered as an important historic park.
One of the oldest trees is the Big Bellied Oak which is very noticeable on the side of the A346 road, south of Cadley. There are many other old and named trees in Savernake, a guide is available to purchase from the Postern Hill Campsite.
Since 1939 the majority of the woodland has been managed by the Forestry Commission with the freehold retained by the Savernake Estate.