Forestry Commission logo


If you are planning an event or activity, commercial or not, on Forestry Commission land, you will need our permission and in many instances a formal permit.

Your Right To Roam

The majority of our forests are dedicated as open access under Countryside & Rights of Way Act 2000 (CRoW) which gives walkers the right to roam across these areas. In many of the rest we operate a permissive right to roam policy. In addition we extend a permissive right to roam to cyclists and horse riders who may use our forest roads and tracks.

You can find out whether your event includes Forestry Commission land by using the MAGIC website.

Whilst everyone has  right to individual and family recreation on open access land this right does not extend to holding events or running commercial activities.

Why Contact us

If you are planning an event or activity partly or entirely across Forestry Commission land please contacts us so we can help ensure that you activity:

  • does not clash with other planned events
  • avoids sensitive wildlife and habitats
  • does not damage features of historic interest.
  • is not effected by our forest operations.

Other Considerations

Our Landowners Risk Assessment must be considered when planning your event.

Forestry Commission byelaws prohibit the use of motorised vehicles on our land without written consent and it is ourpolicy to minimise access to motorised vehicles. It is acknowledged that to set up, take down and manage safety at a recreation event a vehicle of some type may be required. Please refer to the FC North West England policy note on the use of motorised vehicles by event organisers, which forms part of the guidance notes.

What's of interest

Remember its better to ask if you are unsure, please phone our District office on 01623 822 447.

Useful sites

England's Woods and Forests are cared for by Forest Enterprise England, an agency of the Forestry Commission.