This news story is now over a year old and information may no longer be accurate or up-to-date. It might also contain obsolete links.
Please use our search link on the left to look for more recent information.
Erasure have announced Sophie Ellis-Bextor as special guest on the June dates of their Total Pop! tour, playing their hits as part of Forestry Commission Live Music, where acts perform in spectacular woodland locations across the country. The Total Pop! tour will coincide with the release of Erasure’s brand new album, planned for release this summer.
Citing her music as a mixture of mainstream Pop, Disco, Nu-Disco and 1980s electronic influences, Sophie Ellis-Bextor has become established as a multi-platinum selling artist over the past decade, with singles successes like ‘Take Me Home (A Girl Like Me), ‘Mixed Up World’, ‘Get Over You / Move This Mountain’ and her signature ‘Murder on the Dancefloor’. Her latest single, ‘Not Giving Up On Love’ from the forthcoming album, ‘Make A Scene’, is due for release on 14th March.
Formed 25 years ago, the award-winning Erasure duo of Vince Clarke and Andy Bell unleashed on the nation a succession of both influential and chart-topping pop anthems of the ‘80s, ‘90s through to today. Songs like ‘A Little Respect’, ‘Sometimes’, ‘Victim Of Love’, ‘Ship Of Fools’, ‘Blue Savannah’, ‘Star’, ‘Chains Of Love’, ‘The Circus’, ‘Who Needs Love (Like That)’, ‘Love To Hate You’, ‘Drama!’, ‘Always’ and ‘Breathe’, ensured a formidable presence for on the singles charts complemented by five consecutive No 1 albums including ‘The Innocents’, ‘Wild!’, ‘Chorus’ and the beginning of the worldwide Abba revival ‘Abba-esque’.
From Lady Gaga to La Roux, the futurist, electronic sound Erasure championed is more relevant today than ever, and once again re-charging the global music scene. Clarke’s swirling synths and Bell’s angelic vocals offer both a contrast and complement to the ancient and bucolic forests in which they will perform. These shows will provide a magical environment for Erasure to deliver their fantastic, phantasmagoric entertainment.
Commenting on her special guest slot, Sophie Ellis-Bextor said, "I am really looking forward to supporting Erasure on the June dates of their Total Pop! Forest tour. I can’t wait to get out in the woods!"
Total Pop! Tour - Forest Concerts – 2011:
- Fri 10 June Thetford Forest, Nr Brandon, Suffolk
- Sat 11 June Bedgebury Pinetum & Forest, Nr Tunbridge Wells, Kent.
- Fri 17 June Sherwood Pines Forest Park, Nr Edwinstowe, Nottinghamshire.
- Sat 18 June Westonbirt Arboretum, Nr Tetbury, Gloucestershire.
- Fri 24 June Cannock Chase Forest, Nr Rugeley, Staffordshire.
- Sat 25 June Dalby Forest, Nr Pickering, North Yorks.
- *Fri 1 July Delamere Forest, Delamere, Cheshire.
* Note: Sophie Ellis-Bextor will not be appearing in Delamere Forest
Tickets cost £34.50 (subject to booking fee) from the Forestry Commission box office tel. 03000 680400, or buy online at www.forestry.gov.uk/music.
www.erasureinfo.com / www.sophieellisbextor.net / www.forestry.gov.uk/music
Note to Editors
1. Forestry Commission Live Music introduces music fans to a woodland environment for the first time. Many of them come back to enjoy the beautiful surroundings for healthy and fun outdoor recreation including walking, mountain biking and watching wildlife.
2. Forestry Commission Live Music takes place each summer in seven forest locations around the country. Woodland clearings are temporarily transformed into a concert arena creating a safe and relaxed atmosphere for gig-goers.
3. The United Nations has declared 2011 as the International Year of Forests, to raise global awareness of the urgent need to conserve forest resources and to highlight their importance in everyday life. More information on how the Forestry Commission is supporting the International Year of Forests can be found at www.forestry.gov.uk/englandiyf.