This news story is now over a year old and information may no longer be accurate or up-to-date. It might also contain obsolete links.
Please use our search link on the left to look for more recent information.
The latest National Statistics on UK Wood Production and Trade (provisional figures) produced by the Forestry Commission were released today, 12 May 2011, in accordance with the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
Statistics on UK Wood Production and Trade (provisional figures) include data on production, imports and exports of roundwood (logs) and wood products for the UK for the calendar years 2006 to 2010.
The key points from the latest release are:
Harvesting of UK roundwood in 2010:
- 9.7 million green tonnes of softwood; a 14 per cent increase from 2009; and
- 0.5 million green tonnes of hardwood; a 1 per cent decrease from 2009.
UK roundwood deliveries to industries and others in 2010 were:
- total: 9.9 million tonnes of roundwood (softwood and hardwood); a 12 per cent increase from 2009; of which:
- sawmills: 5.6 million green tonnes; an 8 per cent increase from 2009;
- wood-based panels: 1.4 million green tonnes; a 21 per cent increase from 2009;
- integrated pulp and paper mills: 0.4 million green tonnes; a 16 per cent decrease from 2009; and
- other uses, including round fencing, woodfuel, shavings and exports of roundwood: 2.5 million green tonnes; a 25 per cent increase from 2009.
UK production of wood products in 2010 included:
- 3.1 million cubic metres of sawnwood (an increase of 7 per cent from 2009);
- 3.4 million cubic metres of wood-based panels (an 11 per cent increase from 2009); and
- 4.3 million tonnes of paper and paperboard (unchanged from 2009).
- UK imports in 2010 included 5.7 million cubic metres of sawnwood, 2.7 million cubic metres of wood-based panels, and 8.0 million tonnes of pulp and paper; and
- the total value of wood product imports in 2010 was £6.7 billion, of which £4.6 billion was pulp and paper. Pulp and paper also accounted for most exports, generating £1.6 billion in 2010 out of a total of £1.8 billion for all wood product exports.
The full statistics release is available at www.forestry.gov.uk/statistics.
These statistics will next be updated in September 2011 (final results for 2010) and May 2012 (provisional results for 2011).
Further information is available from Jackie Watson, Economics & Statistics Unit, Forestry Commission, tel: 0131 314 6171; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
MEDIA CONTACT: Charlton Clark, 0131 314 6500