The National Statistics provisional figures on UK wood production and trade for 2015 have been released in accordance with arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
These statistics, which are produced by the Forestry Commission, include data on production, imports and exports of roundwood (logs) and wood products for the UK. The key points for 2015 are (with percentage changes from 2014):
Removals (harvesting) of UK roundwood comprised:
- 10.8 million green tonnes of softwood (-6%);
- 0.5 million green tonnes of hardwood (-1%);
- 0.9 million green tonnes of softwood under plant health legislation (+5%).
Deliveries of UK roundwood to wood processors and others:
Total: 10.8 million green tonnes of roundwood (softwood and hardwood) (-6%), of which deliveries to:
- sawmills comprised 6.2 million green tonnes (-8%);
- wood-based panel manufacturers - 1.3 million green tonnes (+4%);
- integrated pulp and paper mills - 0.4 million green tonnes (-6%); and
- other uses (including round fencing, woodfuel, shavings and exports of roundwood) -2.8 million green tonnes (-4%).
Production of wood-based products in the UK included:
- 3.5 million cubic metres of sawn wood (-7%);
- 3.1 million cubic metres of wood-based panels (no change);
- 4.0 million tonnes of paper and paperboard (-10%); and
- 0.3 million tonnes of wood pellets and briquettes (-3%).
UK imports of wood-based products included:
- 6.3 million cubic metres of sawnwood (-2%);
- 3.2 million cubic metres of wood-based panels (-1%);
- 9.7 million cubic metres of wood pellets (+38%); and
- 7.4 million tonnes of pulp and paper (+1%).
The total value of wood product imports was £7.5 billion (+5%), of which £4.4 billion was pulp and paper (+4%).
UK exports: the total value of wood product exports was £1.6 billion (-5%), of which £1.4 billion was pulp and paper (-3%).
The full release is available in the statistics area of the Forestry Commission website at www.forestry.gov.uk/statistics.
Further information is available from email@example.com; tel: 0300 067 5238.
The Wood Production and Trade statistics will next be updated on 22 September 2016, with final results for 2015, and on 18 May 2017, with provisional results for 2016.
MEDIA CONTACT: Charlton Clark, 0300 067 5049