Head of Forest Research Wales/ Pennaeth Ymchwil Goedwig yng Nghymru
Tom Jenkins joined Forest Research in February 2009. He was previously employed at Bangor University as departmental computer manager and departmental statistician (1988-1993), lecturer in Forest Mensuration and Management (1993-2005) and Distance-learning Programme Director (2005-2009).
Tom started at Forest Research as the deputy manager of the Forest Mensuration, Modelling and Forecasting science group lead by Robert Matthews. He took up his current role in April 2014.
Head of Forest Research in Wales/Pennaeth Ymchwil Coedwigaeth yng Nghymru
Tom leads the Forest Research in Wales Unit from the FR office in Bangor. His responsibilities include the management and growth of the Unit, including the assessment of research opportunities within Wales and elsewhere. Interactions with a wide range of stakeholders in Wales and particularly with Cyfoeth Naturiol Cymru/Natural Resources Wales (CNC/NRW) and the Welsh Government are being developed and strengthened in order to scope and deliver research effort of direct relevance to Wales as well as appropriate technology transfer. Links with the research community in Wales, both in universities and government organisations are strong, leading to active collaboration on a range of environmental and land use issues, especially in relation to the Welsh Government’s Woodlands for Wales strategy. Forest Research in Wales has also been instrumental in the establishment of the Dyfi Catchment and Woodland Research Platform.
Affiliations and achievements
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Foresters (ICF)
- Member of the ICF Professional and Educational Standards Committee
- ICF examinations moderator
- ICF President’s Award (2014) for meritorious service to the Institute’s examination’s processes
- Forest growth and yield modelling to improve existing systems
- Developing new models to better predict and evaluate forest resources including, where appropriate, the likely consequences of climate change.
- The development of forest mensuration systems for the collection of data relevant to the Forestry Commission’s modelling initiatives.