Research Liaison Officer
Tel: +44 (0)300 067 5900
Tel direct: +44 (0)300 067 5972
Mobile: +44 (0)780 8900331
Fax: +44 (0)131 445 5124
Northern Research Station
Midlothian EH25 9SY
Steve trained as a Civil Engineer at Edinburgh University, graduating in 1982 and then working with a small consultant firm in Dundee before joining Tarmac Construction and working on the construction of the Killiecrankie bypass section of the A9 near Pitlochry.
In 1985, he joined the Forestry Commission as a Design Engineer based in Edinburgh. There he worked on the designs for mechanical engineering workshop buildings, bridges, the Glasgow Garden Festival (1988) and more. He obtained a Masters Degree in Forest Engineering in 1990 from the University of New Brunswick in Canada and then moved to Galloway Forest District working in various roles in Forest Operations in south Scotland including as an Area Engineer and Forest District Manager. Most recently he held the position of Area Operations Manager for South East Scotland, managing (primarily) harvesting, restocking, and forest maintenance operations across Ae and Scottish Borders Forest Districts.
Steve joined Forest Research in 2007.
Research Liaison Officer (RLO), Scotland.
RLOs work to enhance the effectiveness of research output dissemination in order to underpin the delivery of national policies and raise awareness, knowledge, and understanding of research issues by:
- Providing a link between research commissioners, research providers and research end users.
- Channelling research knowledge to the respective Forestry Commission country organisations and other stakeholders, and feeding back requirements to Forest Research which can help the commissioning and delivery process.
Affiliations and achievements
- Member of the Institution of Agricultural Engineers
- Chartered Engineer
- Associate Member of Institute of Chartered Foresters
- Member of the Canadian Institute of Forestry
- Chair of the Forestry Engineering Specialist Group IAgrE (2011-2012).