21st to 23rd November 2006
What was the event?
This international conference brought together leading experts from 15 countries to consider practical proposals on the way forward:
- Can we predict the impacts of climate change on boreal, temperate and tropical forest systems?
- What contribution can carbon sequestration in forests globally make to the mitigation of climate change?
- Does present forestry policy and practice adequately accommodate the current understanding of climate change?
- Are the current international frameworks and agreements achieving sustainable forestry, reforestation and are they
- sufficient to stop deforestation and forest degradation?
- How should the national and international forest sectors respond to climate change in future?
- Are new research, organisational, policy and practice initiatives required?
Presentations given at the conference are provided below.
Who was the event suitable for?
Invited participants dawn from an international community of scientific experts and policy makers.
Where did the event take place?
Wilton Park Conferences
West Sussex BN44 3DZ
- Welcome address (PDF-67K)
Professor Jim Lynch
- Drivers of deforestation drivers of deforestation and forest degradation: Implications for policy implications for policy (PDF-447K)
- Forest sector responses: Report of Working Group 3 (PDF-126K)
- Carbon sequestration as a forestry opportunity in a changing climate (PDF-1002K)
- Forestry and climate change: Global understandings and possible responses (PDF-34K)
- Commercial and project-based responses and associated research initiatives in the forest sector (PDF-34K)
- Risks and uncertainties (PDF-198K)
- Present and future carbon sources and sinks (PDF-2206K)
- National forest monitoring systems: Purposes, options and status (PDF-1289K)
- International forest policy and differentiated options for climate change forest policy in developing countries (PDF-176K)
- Direct effects of elevated CO2 on forest productivity (PDF-3530K)
David F. Karnosky
- Climate change impacts on extensively managed forest: a modelling approach (PDF-1691K)
- Product substitution product substitution and wood products and wood products (PDF-2223K)
- The forest science/policy interface (PDF-174K)
Luiz Gylvan Meira Filho
- Forestry in Europe under changing climate and land use: the ATEAM project (PDF-258K)
- Forest management in Europe and its role in the cycle carbon cycle (PDF-5185K)
- Impact of climate change on forest soil carbon: Principles - factors - models - uncertainties (PDF-2346K)
- Governance: International/national communication (PDF-73K)
- Soils and waste management: A challenge to climate change (PDF-19769K)
James S. Schepers (Note: 20Mb file)
- Afforestation, reforestation and reduced deforestation to sequester carbon and reduce emissions (PDF-725K)
- Global forest sector: Trends, threats and opportunities (PDF-182K)
Prof. Risto Seppälä
- Energy and fuelwood (PDF-3721K)
Prof. Ralph E H Sims
- Forest responses to global change in North America: Interacting forces define a research agenda (PDF-2724K)
Allen M. Solomon
- Conservation of biodiversity in Russian forests (PDF-123K)
- Conclusions and the way forward (PDF-1504K)
Alice Holt Lodge
Surrey GU9 0DE
Tel: 01420 22255
Fax: 01420 23653