The Chemical Analysis Laboratory provides a wide range of inorganic analyses for plant, soil and water samples; including composts, effluents, sludges and even animal tissues (e.g. invertebrates).
We have a modern, well equipped laboratory with analytical instruments such as:
- HPLC (High Performance Liquid Chromatography)
- ICP-OES (Inductively Coupled Plasma-Optical Emission Spectrophotometry) with dual view (Axial & Radial)
- UV-VIS CFA (UV-Visible Continuous Flow Analysis)
- 2 Elemental Analysers (Carbon and Nitrogen in water and soil/plant)
- GC (Gas Chromatography) for gas analysis
- Automated pH and Alkalinity meter.
We also have specialised equipment for sample homogenisation and preparation such as:
- Jaw crusher, grinder and ball mill
- High accuracy 6 digit weighing balance
- Sample heating blocks
- Microwave digestion system
Our new dual view (axial and radial) ICP-OES (optical Emission Spectrophotometer) allow much lower limits of detection than conventional ICP-OES and gives us great accuracy at trace levels.
Elemental analyser recently purchased for the European Soil Survey (BioSoil) project for measuring nitrogen and carbon (both organic and inorganic forms) in soils. This instrument can also be used for analysing other solid media such as plant samples.
High Performance Liquid Chromatography for analysing anions in water or other aqueous extracts (plant and soil).
The Chemical Analysis Laboratory is based at Alice Holt Lodge in Farnham, Surrey.