Range of services:
- Woodlands in both public and private ownership
- Trees on farmland, in hedgerows, shelterbelts and screens
- Christmas tree plantations
- Trees in forest and horticultural nurseries
Publicly owned amenity trees
- Privately owned amenity trees subject to a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) or situated in a Conservation Area.
Flat rate charge for the initial investigation which in many cases may be all that is needed to resolve the problem. Additional work, which may involve culturing from specimens or a site visit, will incur additional charges but will not be undertaken without the prior agreement of the customer.
Please use our standard Report Form and Supplementary Sheet (below) for written and email requests:
- Diagnostic service report form (PDF) (60K)
- Diagnostic service report form (MS Word®) (89K)
- Supplementary sheet A - Nursery problems (PDF) (17K)
- Supplementary sheet A - Nursery problems (MS Word®) (26K)
If you are reporting a suspected case of Chalara die back of ash, please use this online reporting form.
There is no fee associated with this service.
- Fungal fruit bodies
- Pathogens obtained from diseased specimens by culturing or incubation
- Fungi supplied as pure cultures.
General information and advice, usually free of charge, on all aspects of tree disease and disorders and allied subjects. If the problem falls outwith our area of interest we can often direct inquirers to our specialists in Forest Research or in other establishments.
- Laboratory diagnosis of Phytophthora ramorum in larch trees
This short (2min) video explains how we test for Phytophthora ramorum in our laboratory at Alice Holt Research Station.
See also: video that helps to describe symptoms in the field