The specific research questions that will be considered by partners include:
- What are the potential risks and impacts of the two pests both in their countries of origin and where they have established in new locations?
- What are the pathways for movement of the pests and how can we better protect against the risk of introduction?
- How can we improve early detection both on the pathways and at their end points?
- What are the biological characteristics and pest population sizes that are likely to lead to successful breeding and establishment in a new location?
- What are the rates of natural spread and can we improve prediction of spread, both natural and by assistance?
- How can we develop or improve cost-effective management and control approaches and tools (including biological control) and assess their social acceptability?
- How can we best communicate and implement policy and engage with stakeholders (including policy makers, woodland owners and managers, academia and the public, importers and the wider nursery industry)?