Slowing the Flow at Pickering is one of three pilot projects nationwide to receive a total of £1 million of Defra funding. The aim is to demonstrate how our natural resources can help protect against flooding. The funding is part of £28 million which DEFRA has allocated to fund projects that help communities adapt to changing flood risk in the face of climate change.
The two sister projects are:
- Holnicote Estate, near Minehead in Somerset – project managed by the National Trust
- Upper Derwent Valley, Derbyshire – project managed by Moors for the Future
For further contextual information on flooding and flood management please visit:
- Land management - approaches that promote multiple benefits (Defra)
- Managing flood water (Environment Agency)
- Forest hydrology (Forest Research)