This programme aims to mobilise and integrate the existing scientific knowledge for European forest policymakers and managers who have to make decisions on adaptation to and mitigation of climate change.
ECHOES aims to develop clear and tested strategies for actions which help European decision makers and forest managers to:
- Define strategies toward a reduction of forest losses, an increase of forest gains, and an adoption of mitigation and adaptation measures
- Suggest improvements of monitoring systems and identifying research priorities.
To reach these goals, ECHOES has to focus on climate change and forests in Europe and to integrate different but tightly interrelated issues related to forest multifunctionality:
- Impacts on forests with adaptation to and mitigation of climate change
- Climatic trends with extreme events
- Natural sciences with social sciences
- Research with actual policy and management
- Ecosystems with products and services.
Regional analyses, case studies and compared alternatives will be used to combine a rather large scope with concrete and useful views.
- Newsletter 0 - December 2008 (PDF-110K)
Funders and partners
This programme is funded by the European Union – COST Action FP0703.
The programme was completed in May 2012.
Regarding climate change adaptation:
Regarding climate change impacts: