Our Laboratory provides a wide range of inorganic analyses for plant, soil and water samples; including composts, effluents, sludges and even animal tissues (e.g. invertebrates).
The laboratory was originally developed for the analysis of forestry samples, to provide chemical expertise for the forestry industry and for Forest Research and develops analytical methods for research project needs. Its service has been extended to private customers.
The laboratory operates under the Joint Code of Practice for Research as our benchmark on quality assurance. We are also a member of a number of proficiency schemes to ensure our work remains of a high standard. These include:
- Yearly water proficiency test under the European Monitoring on Environmental Pollution project.
- Yearly water and plant proficiency tests under the EU Protection of Forests Against Atmospheric Pollution programme.
- 2005, 2007 and 2009 soil proficiency tests under the European Soil Survey (BioSoil) programme.
- Certified Reference Materials (plant, soil or water) are run in every batch of analysis with matrix matching to maintain the quality of our data which is paramount in research and long term monitoring.
- Reference standards used through out every batch of analysis to assess any significant drift or change in sensitivity.
- Experienced staff some educated to BSc, MSc and PhD level.
The laboratory continues to perform extremely well in these tests and was ranked 2nd out of 54 European laboratories in the latest water test under the EU Protection of Forests Against Atmospheric Pollution programme.
The laboratory is based in the Centre for Forestry and Climate Change at Alice Holt in Farnham, Surrey.
For further information
Centre for Forestry and Climate Change
Alice Holt Lodge
Tel: 01420 22255
Tel direct: 01420 526206
Fax: 01420 520180