The latest National Statistics on Timber Price Indices produced by the Forestry Commission were released on 6 November 2014 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
Timber Price Indices are based on sales by the Forestry Commission and Natural Resources Wales and consist of the Coniferous Standing Sales Price Index and the Softwood Sawlog Price Index. They present data to September 2014 for Great Britain.
The key points from the latest release are:
- In the Coniferous Standing Sales Price Index:
- There has been an overall increase in the index over the last ten years, following an overall decrease in earlier years.
- The index was 25.8% higher in real terms (28.2% in nominal terms) in the year to September 2014, compared with the previous year.
- The average price for coniferous standing sales was £17.90 per cubic metre overbark standing in nominal terms in the year to September 2014, an increase from £13.93 in the year to September 2013.
- In the Softwood Sawlog Price Index:
- There has been an overall increase over the last five years, following a long period of general decline.
- The index was 6.0% higher in real terms (8.2% in nominal terms) in the 6 months to September 2014, compared with the corresponding period of the previous year.
- The average price for softwood sawlog sales was £44.06 per cubic metre overbark in nominal terms in the 6 month period to September 2014, a decrease from £45.45 in the 6 months to March 2014, but an overall increase from £40.71 in the 6 months to September 2013.
Coverage: Great Britain
Geographical breakdown: None
Timber Price Indices: Data to September 2014
Quality Report: Timber Price Indices
Methodology Paper (August 2008):
Methodology for the Coniferous Standing Sales Price Index
Statistician: Jeremy Darot
Tel: 0300 067 5238
14 May 2015 (data to March 2015)
5 November 2015 (data to September 2015)
Information on pre-release access to this publication can be found on the pre-release access page.