The latest National Statistics on UK Wood Production and Trade: 2013 provisional figures, produced by the Forestry Commission were released on 15 May 2014 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
These statistics include data on production, imports and exports of roundwood and wood products for the UK for the calendar years 2009 to 2013.
The key points for 2013 from the latest release are (with percentage changes from 2012):
Removals (harvesting) of UK roundwood:
- 10.9 million green tonnes of softwood (+8%);
- 0.5 million green tonnes of hardwood (-1%);
- 0.4 million green tonnes of softwood under movement licence.
Deliveries of UK roundwood to wood processors and others:
- Total: 11.0 million green tonnes of roundwood (softwood and hardwood) (+6%), of which:
- Sawmills: 6.4 million green tonnes (+5%);
- Wood-based panels: 1.3 million green tonnes (-1%);
- Integrated pulp and paper mills: 0.5 million green tonnes (+1%);
- Other uses, including round fencing, wood fuel, shavings and exports of roundwood: 2.9 million green tonnes (+15%).
Production of wood products in the UK included:
- 3.6 million cubic metres of sawnwood (+5%);
- 3.0 million cubic metres of wood-based panels (+1%);
- 4.6 million tonnes of paper and paperboard (+2%);
- 0.3 million tonnes of wood pellets and briquettes (+8%).
- 5.5 million cubic metres of sawnwood (+6%);
- 3.0 million cubic metres of wood-based panels (+12%);
- 5.0 million cubic metres of wood pellets (+128%);
- 7.2 million tonnes of pulp and paper (-1%);
- The total value of wood product imports was £6.7 billion (+5%), of which £4.2 billion was pulp and paper (-2%).
- The total value of wood product exports was £1.7 billion (-5%), of which £1.5 billion was pulp and paper (-4%).
Coverage: United Kingdom
Geographical breakdown: Some statistics are available by country and English region
UK Wood Production and Trade: 2013 provisional figures
Quality report: UK Wood Production and Trade
Statistician: Jeremy Darot
Tel: 0300 067 5238
25 September 2014 (final results for 2013 - see Forestry Facts & Figures 2014 and Forestry Statistics 2014)
14 May 2015 (provisional results for 2014)
Information on pre-release access to Forestry Commission official statistics can be found on the pre-release access pages, including lists of the individuals who are given pre-release access to specific publications.