England's forests are easy to get to and have more to offer than you might think. There are 40 million visits to Forestry Commission sites every year and this infographic makes it easy to see why...
More in the forest statistics
- There are 1.3 billion trees in England
- The Forestry Commission manages 250,000 hectares of land
- The Forestry Commission has 40 key visitor sites across the country.
- There are 40 million visits to England's forests every year: 41% of visitors say they enjoy bike rides in the forest; 57% regularly enjoy a forest walk; 27% enjoy playing in the forest; 10% have a BBQ or picnic; 4% come for birdwatching.
- GoApe has 19km of Tree Top Adventure wire.
- There are 2,500km of cycle trails across the Public Forest Estate
- Camping in the Forest can accommodate 32,000 forest campers at a time.
- Forest Holidays has 352 luxury woodland cabins across the country including 316 with their own personal hot tub.
- Five things you never you knew you could do in the forest: stargazing, UFO trails, huskey racing, zombie running and horse riding.