The West England Forest District learning team is based at the Wyre Forest Learning Centre, and covers an area from Shrewsbury to Lands End, which includes forests in Worcestershire, Warwickshire, Herefordshire, Gloucestershire, Avon, Wiltshire, Somerset, Devon and Cornwall.
Learning opportunities currently available in this area include:
- Programmes for Secondary schools and Sixth forms led by Forestry Commission learning rangers at Wyre Forest, Worcestershire and Shropshire
- Programmes for Primary Schools at Wyre Forest are led by 'A breath of fresh air' - see www.abreathoffreshair.education
- Sessions for groups in Wyre Forest led by Step-Out Outdoor Learning, Training and Therapy. See www.step-out.eu
- Downloadable activities and resources for self-led visits at Wyre Forest
- In the Dean Forest Park, 'A breath of fresh air' runs learning programmes from Beechenhurst Lodge. See www.abreathoffreshair.education.
- Learning programmes at Cardinham Woods, near Bodmin in Cornwall, are provided by Badger Forest School Cornwall. See www.badgerforestschool.co.uk
- Learning programmes at Leigh Woods near Bristol are delivered by My Green World. See www.mygreenworld.co.uk
- Ranger in a Bag now available at a number of our woolands - please contact us for details.
- Children's University
- We welcome self-led visits from schools and are working towards CLOtC Site Provider Awards for some of our forests. Find out more here.
Forestry Commission woodlands offer ideal locations to support studies in KS3 and KS4 Geography and Biology. To find a Forestry Commission woodland close to your school please see www.forestry.gov.uk/visit Please let us know in advance when you are visiting a Forestry Commission woodland, in case there are any events or timber operations planned which could affect your visit. It may be possible for a learning ranger to provide an introductory talk on how the Forestry Commission manages the forest, taking into account the demands of conservation, tourism, forestry and sustainability. You will then be able to follow this up with your own fieldwork and data collection. We may be able to support you with preparing for your self-led studies.
- Other learning resources:
- Downoadable resources and lesson plans for use in any Forestry Commission woodland are available from www.forestry.gov.uk/england-learning
- The Quantock Hills AONB provide learning resources for Ramscombe Forest, Somerset
- Wistlandpound, near Barnstaple, is a partnership between the Forestry Commission, the Calvert Trust and the South West Lakes Trust
If you are a learning provider and would like to deliver on Forestry Commission land, or if you want to find out more about the activities mentioned above or other learning opportunities closer to where you are, please contact the learning team:
Email email@example.com Phone 0300 067 4855