The latest National Statistics on UK Wood Production and Trade: 2011 provisional figures, produced by the Forestry Commission were released on 17 May 2012 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
These statistics include data on production, imports and exports of roundwood and wood products for the UK for the calendar years 2007 to 2011.
The key points from the latest release are (with percentage changes from 2010):
Removals (harvesting) of UK roundwood:
- 9.9 million green tonnes of softwood (+7%);
- 0.5 million green tonnes of hardwood (+1%).
Deliveries of UK roundwood to wood processors and others:
- Total: 10.3 million green tonnes of roundwood (softwood and hardwood) (+3%), of which:
- Sawmills: 5.9 million green tonnes (+4%);
- Wood-based panels: 1.4 million green tonnes (+3%);
- Integrated pulp and paper mills: 0.5 million green tonnes (+6%);
- Other uses, including round fencing, wood fuel, shavings and exports of roundwood: 2.5 million green tonnes (unchanged).
Production of wood products in the UK included:
- 3.3 million cubic metres of sawnwood (+6%);
- 3.4 million cubic metres of wood-based panels (unchanged);
- 4.3 million tonnes of paper and paperboard (+1%).
- 4.9 million cubic metres of sawnwood;
- 2.8 million cubic metres of wood-based panels;
- 7.5 million tonnes of pulp and paper.
- The total value of wood product imports was £6.8 billion, of which £4.7 billion was pulp and paper.
- The total value of wood product exports was £1.9 billion, of which £1.7 billion was pulp and paper.
Coverage: United Kingdom
Geographical breakdown: Some statistics are available by country and English region
UK Wood Production and Trade: 2011 provisional figures
Longer time series for wood production (roundwood removals), UK roundwood deliveries, sawmills and round fencing manufacturers
Quality report: UK Wood Production and Trade
Statistician: Jeremy Darot
Tel: 0131 314 6171
13 September 2012 (final results for 2011 - see Forestry Facts & Figures 2012 and Forestry Statistics 2012)
16 May 2013 (provisional results for 2012)
There is no pre-release access to Forestry Commission National Statistics in their final form. Further information can be found in the pre-release access pages.