Westonbirt Arboretum promotes conservation and sustainability though learning and interpretation: showing our visitors just how vital trees are to the environment.
But we also do much more behind the scenes to ensure we remain a sustainable and environmentally responsible visitor attraction. Here are just a few of the ways we do this:
- Westonbirt recycles the majority of its waste and saves water by using ES4 water efficient toilets.
- A new woodchip sterilisation facility in Silk Wood means material can be safely reused around Westonbirt without the risk of spreading pest and disease. Until we had this facility, we had to transport all our woodchip to be sterilised offsite - a very unsustainable method.
- Microbial cleaning methods are used within the public toilets. These cleaners work continuously, naturally excluding negative bacteria without harmful odours or residues.
- Traditional skills are used to manage the ancient Silk Wood. Professional coppice workers are helping to manage many acres of oak and hazel that have been left alone to overgrow for years. In return, the professional coppice workers use wood cut in the process to make roof shingles, hurdles, fencing and other items for their businesses.
- We offer a 50% discount to people who have taken public transport or cycled to Westonbirt.