The latest National Statistics on UK Wood Production and Trade (provisional figures) produced by the Forestry Commission were released on 12 May 2011 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
Statistics on UK Wood Production and Trade (provisional figures) include data on production, imports and exports of roundwood and wood products for the UK for the calendar years 2006 to 2010.
The key points from the latest release are:
Harvesting of UK roundwood in 2010:
- 9.7 million green tonnes of softwood; a 14% increase from 2009;
- 0.5 million green tonnes of hardwood; a 1% decrease from 2009.
UK roundwood deliveries to industries and others in 2010:
- Total: 9.9 million tonnes of roundwood (softwood and hardwood); a 12% increase from 2009; of which:
- Sawmills: 5.6 million green tonnes; an 8% increase from 2009;
- Woodbased panels: 1.4 million green tonnes; a 21% increase from 2009;
- Integrated pulp and paper mills: 0.4 million green tonnes; a 16% decrease from 2009;
- Other uses, including round fencing, woodfuel, shavings and exports of roundwood: 2.5 million green tonnes; a 25% increase from 2009.
UK production of wood products in 2010 included:
- 3.1 million cubic metres of sawnwood (an increase of 7% from 2009);
- 3.4 million cubic metres of woodbased panels (an 11% increase from 2009);
- 4.3 million tonnes of paper and paperboard (unchanged from 2009).
- UK imports in 2010 included 5.7 million cubic metres of sawnwood, 2.7 million cubic metres of woodbased panels and 8.0 million tonnes of pulp and paper.
- The total value of wood product imports in 2010 was £6.7 billion, of which £4.6 billion was pulp and paper. Pulp and paper also accounted for most exports, generating £1.6 billion in 2010 out of a total of £1.8 billion for all wood product exports.
Geographical breakdown: Some statistics available by country and by English region
UK Wood Production and Trade (provisional figures)
Longer time series for wood production (roundwood removals), UK roundwood deliveries, sawmills and round fencing manufacturers
Quality report: UK Wood Production and Trade
Statistician: Sheila Ward
Tel: 0131 314 6171
September 2011 (final results for 2010 - see Forestry Facts & Figures 2011 and Forestry Statistics 2011)
May 2012 (provisional results for 2011)