The Visitor Centre is open 10am – 5pm in Summer. In winter it closes at 4pm weekdays, 5pm weekends (November - February). Closed Christmas Day only.
The Cycle shop is currently open from 9am - 5.30pm on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays only.
Parking Charges apply all year round to all visitors (including disabled badge holders)
- £4 per day, for cars, horseboxes, minibuses and motorcycles
- £1.50 for an hour, for the above vehicles
- £1.50 after 5pm, for the above vehicles
- £10 for coaches
Car parking charges are enforced on site. Pay & display machines can be found along the central path through the main car park and in the centre of the horsebox car park. Please note that unfortunately these machines are cash only and are unable to provide change. Visit England recommend a stay of about 3 hours to get the most from your visit.
You can also pay for your parking by phone, using the PaySmarti system. The first time you use this service you will need to create an account. This can be done before your visit by calling 01604 210 933 or registering at www.paysmarti.co.uk. Once you have found a space you can then pay for parking following the instructions on display in the car park, via text, phone call or mobile web browser. You will be asked to enter your location code, which for Fineshade Wood is 3005 (cars) & 3009 (coaches). Full details on the PaySmarti service, including terms and conditions, are available at www.paysmarti.co.uk.
A ‘Discovery Pass’ will let you show your support for your local forest. It will give you and your family free car parking at your local forest, a seasonal e-newsletter, and discounts and vouchers for shops and activities on and off site. A Discovery Pass is available for £28 a year. Click Discovery Pass for more information.
Money raised from car parking goes towards the maintenance of the visitor centre, the trails and the wider forest.
PLEASE NOTE: At peak times, particularly weekends, bank holidays and school holidays, the car parks fill up quickly and spaces are at a premium. Please take this into consideration when planning your visit.
The main car park is directly behind the visitor centre, with a number of Easy Access parking spaces next to the central path.
The second car park is diagonally opposite the visitor centre. It is mostly used for coach and horsebox parking, although it is also used as an overflow car park at peak periods.
How to find us
Top Lodge, Fineshade Wood is located just off the A43, halfway between Stamford and Corby. There are brown tourist signs leading up to the site from both directions.
For SatNavs our postcode is NN17 3BB.
For details of public transport visit http://www.transportdirect.info
Top Lodge, Fineshade, Nr Corby, Northants NN17 3BB
Facilities and access
- Toilet facilities in the main atrium of the visitor centre
- Additional children's toilets for school and other groups, which can be opened on request
- Cafe, with indoor and outdoor seating
- Cycle shop and cycle hire
- 3 walking trails, 1 horse trail, and a family cycle route with blue taster loops
- Wildlife hide
Families and children
- Baby changing facilities in the ladies and gents toilets
- Two play areas; one for younger children next to the visitor centre and one for older children out in the woods
- High chairs and bottle warming available in the cafe
- Children's, trailer bikes and buggies for hire at Fineshade Cycling
Access (Detailed Access Statement)
- 5 dedicated disabled parking bays 60m from visitor centre entrance
- Unisex accesible toilet in the main atrium of the visitor centre
- Hearing loop available at the welcome desk
- An all-ability waymarked trail, and wildlife hide
- Sensory garden
- Numberous suitable picnic tables
- All dogs welcome, but only registered assistance dogs allowed within the cafe. (Please do not be offended if evidence of registration is requested)
- Water bowls found next to most picnic benches around the visitor centre. There is a special tap in the courtyard to top them up
- Most benches around the visitor centre have clasps to attach your dog to
- Dogs should be kept on a lead in the car park and visitor centre area. They may be let off the lead in the wood, as long as they are under close control
- There are no dog bins on site. Please bag up your dog mess and take it home with you
Forestry Commission 0300 067 4340
Top Lodge Café 01780 444795
Fineshade Cycling 01780 440899
Caravan Club 01780 444617