The latest National Statistics on UK Wood Production and Trade (provisional figures) produced by the Forestry Commission were released on 13 May 2010 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
Statistics on UK Wood Production and Trade (provisional figures) include data on production, imports and exports of roundwood and wood products for the UK for the calendar years 2005 to 2009.
The key points from the latest release are:
Harvesting of UK roundwood in 2009:
- 8.8 million green tonnes of softwood; a 4% increase from 2008;
- 0.5 million green tonnes of hardwood; a 24% increase from 2008.
UK roundwood deliveries to industries and others in 2009:
- Total: 8.6 million tonnes of roundwood (softwood and hardwood); no change from 2008; of which:
- Sawmills: 5.2 million green tonnes; a 4% increase from 2008;
- Woodbased panels: 1.0 million green tonnes; a 17% decrease from 2008;
- Integrated pulp and paper mills: 0.5 million green tonnes; a 1% decrease from 2008;
- Other uses, including round fencing, woodfuel, shavings and exports of roundwood: 1.9 million green tonnes; a 3% increase from 2008.
UK production of wood products in 2009 included:
- 2.9 million cubic metres of sawnwood (an increase of 2% from 2008);
- 3.0 million cubic metres of woodbased panels (a 4% decrease from 2008);
- 4.3 million tonnes of paper and paperboard (a 14% decrease from 2008).
- UK imports in 2009 included 5.2 million cubic metres of sawnwood, 2.5 million cubic metres of woodbased panels and 8.5 million tonnes of pulp and paper.
- The total value of wood product imports in 2009 was £5.8 billion, of which £4.1 billion was pulp and paper. Pulp and paper also accounted for the majority of exports, generating £1.4 billion in 2009 out of a total of £1.5 billion for all wood product exports.
Geographical breakdown: Some statistics available by country and by English region
UK Wood Production and Trade (provisional figures)
Longer time series for wood production (roundwood removals), UK sawmills and round fencing manufacturers
Quality report: UK Wood Production and Trade (provisional figures)
Statistician: Sheila Ward
Tel: 0131 314 6171
September 2010 (final results for 2009 - see Forestry Facts & Figures 2010 and Forestry Statistics 2010)
May 2011 (provisional results for 2010)