Why do we charge
We make a charge because
Processing permissions takes up staff time in administration.
Our forests cost money to manage, charging a permission fee helps us to fund the maintenance of facilities such as carparks and paths, plant trees and conserve habitats and wildlife.
Some events or activities may require work to be done in our forest such as felling trees or carrying out safety checks.
The Forestry Commission does not have spare capacity to provide staff to help plan and organise activities and events and so all the resources used are being displaced from other areas and have to be replaced by employing contractors and buying materials.
In order to cover our costs we make the following charges:
- A fixed administration charge of £120.00 for Firewood permits and £58.75 for all other permits.
- A gate key deposit of £30.00 which is refunded on return of the key.
- A lump sum or per competitor fee for competitive events or where there is an entry fee.
- An hourly rate for staff time carrying out preparation works such as tree felling or site visits.
- The cost of all materials used in preparation works.