Our aim is to keep High Lodge open for customers to enjoy as normal.
However, if we have closed the site it is for the following reasons: -
1. Significant risk of injury to customers
2. Significant risk of being trapped on site
3. We are unable to provide adequate cover for the facilities and services
We apologise for any inconvenience caused and hope that you will visit High Lodge again soon.
Severe weather advice
High Lodge has a particular magic in snowy and wintry conditions. Taking a few sensible precautions will make your visit safer and more enjoyable.
When visiting High Lodge during severe winter weather please:-
1. Follow guidance regarding travelling to High Lodge www.highways.gov.uk
2. Wear suitable footwear and clothing
3. Consult the local weather forecasts to make your own decision regarding local and travelling conditions www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather
4. Follow direction provided via signage and Forestry Commission staff
5. Be aware that weather conditions may dictate that we have to shut the centre earlier than normal. Call 01842 815434 option 2 for information.
Driving on site
We have limited resources to remove snow and ice and you should expect to be driving on slippery surfaces.
We advise: -
1. Drive according to the conditions on the Forest Drive and in the car parks
2. Max speed 10mph
3. Slow acceleration, use low revs & a higher gear
4. Only brake if you cannot steer out of trouble
5. If you do not have ABS and you are skidding pump the brakes
Walking on site
We do not treat any of the surfaces around the centre or in the Forest and therefore you should expect surfaces to be slippery.
Please take extra care during wintry weather as a lot of our equipment is wood based and can become slippery. Safety surfacing may also be affected by the weather conditions.
Café & Information provision
We may have to operate a reduced service if staff are unable to get to the site.
Cycling on site
Cyclists should be aware that we might be unable to gain access to the Forest or the trails and therefore we cannot guarantee emergency assistance. Please check at the High Lodge Site Entry Office before setting out - 01842 815434 option 2.
Clearly the conditions are likely to be slippery and there is a significant risk of falling from your bike. As always, we advise customers to ride in accordance to their skill level, the conditions and the suitability of their equipment.