The Forestry Commission has made a commitment to help improve the environment. To help meet this commitment through fuelling, the Forestry Commission undertakes the following measures:
- fuels and oils must be used efficiently in all Forestry Commission vehicles, machines and equipment;
- the burning of hydrocarbon based products must be reduced to lessen the pollution caused by Carbon Dioxide emissions;
- losses from theft and leaks must be minimised;
- the use of biodegradable oils must be promoted within the Forestry Commission and the forest industry:
- use Biodegradable oils for all saw chain lubrication on harvesters and chainsaws;
- use biodegradable oil in the hydraulic systems of all harvesters and forwarders by April 2007; and
- have biodegradable oil in the hydraulic systems of all harvesters and forwarders purchased after 2000.
The aim of this booklet is to guide our staff through the policies and procedures related to refuelling Forestry Commission vehicles, helping them to follow a set of guidelines to make sure everything is recorded and paid for.