The latest National Statistics on UK Wood Production and Trade (provisional figures) produced by the Forestry Commission were released on 14 May 2009 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
Statistics on UK Wood Production and Trade (provisional figures) include data on production, imports and exports of roundwood and wood products for the UK for the calendar years 2004 to 2008.
The key points from the latest release are:
Harvesting of UK roundwood in 2008:
- 8.4 million green tonnes of softwood; a 7% decrease from 2007, but similar to the level in 2006;
- 0.4 million green tonnes of hardwood; a 2% decrease from 2007.
UK roundwood deliveries to industries and others in 2008:
- Total: 8.6 million tonnes of roundwood (softwood and hardwood); a 7% decrease from 2007, but similar to the level in 2006; of which:
- Sawmills: 5.0 million green tonnes; an 11% decrease from 2007;
- Woodbased panels: 1.2 million green tonnes; an 11% decrease from 2007;
- Integrated pulp and paper mills: 0.5 million green tonnes; a 9% increase from 2007;
- Other uses, including round fencing, woodfuel, shavings and exports of roundwood: 1.9 million green tonnes; a 7% increase from 2007.
UK production of wood products in 2008 included:
- 2.8 million cubic metres of sawnwood (a decrease of 11% from 2007);
- 2.6 million cubic metres of woodbased panels (a 28% decrease from 2007);
- 5.0 million tonnes of paper and paperboard (a 5% decrease from 2007).
- UK imports in 2008 included 5.9 million cubic metres of sawnwood, 3.4 million cubic metres of woodbased panels and 8.4 million tonnes of pulp and paper.
- The total value of wood product imports in 2008 was £6.3 billion, of which £4.3 billion was pulp and paper. Pulp and paper also accounted for the majority of exports, generating £1.6 billion in 2008 out of a total of £1.8 billion for all wood product exports.
UK Wood Production and Trade (provisional figures)
Tel: 0131 314 6171
September 2009 (final results for 2008 - see Forestry Facts & Figures 2009 and Forestry Statistics 2009)
May 2010 (provisional results for 2009)