The latest National Statistics on Woodland area, planting & restocking produced by the Forestry Commission were released on 12 June 2008 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
The First Release contains provisional statistics for the year to March 2008 on:
- UK woodland area;
- certified woodland area; and
- areas of new planting and restocking.
The key points, in total for the UK, are:
- The estimated woodland area is 2.84 million hectares (12 per cent of the surface area of the UK). Of this, 0.82 million hectares is owned or managed by the Forestry Commission (in Great Britain) or the Forest Service (in Northern Ireland).
- The total certified area is 1.27 million hectares, including all Forestry Commission/ Forest Service woodland. Overall, 45 per cent of the woodland area is certified.
- Seven thousand hectares of new woodland were created, mostly with broadleaved species.
- Eighteen thousand hectares of woodland were restocked, mostly with conifers.
Geographical breakdown: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
Woodland area, planting & restocking
Tel: 0131 314 6171
September 2008 (final results for the year to March 2008 - see Forestry Facts & Figures 2008 and Forestry Statistics 2008)
June 2009 (provisional results for the year to March 2009)