The latest National Statistics on UK Wood Production and Trade (provisional figures) produced by the Forestry Commission were released on 15 May 2008 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
Statistics on UK Wood Production and Trade (provisional figures) include data on production, imports and exports of roundwood and wood products for the UK for the calendar years 2003 to 2007.
The key points from the latest release are:
Harvesting of UK roundwood in 2007:
- 9.1 million green tonnes of softwood; a 6% increase from 2006
- 0.4 million green tonnes of hardwood; an 11% fall from 2006
UK roundwood deliveries to industries and others in 2007:
- Total: 9.2 million tonnes of roundwood (softwood and hardwood); a 6% increase from 2006;
- Sawmills: 5.6 million green tonnes; a 7% increase;
- Woodbased panels: 1.4 million green tonnes; no change from 2006;
- Integrated pulp and paper mills: 0.5 million green tonnes; a 12% fall;
- Other uses, including round fencing, woodfuel, shavings and exports of roundwood: 1.7 million green tonnes; a 16% increase.
UK production of wood products in 2007 included:
- 3.1 million cubic metres of sawnwood (an increase of 8% from 2006);
- 3.5 million cubic metres of woodbased panels (a 1% increase from 2006);
- 5.2 million tonnes of paper and paperboard (a 6% fall from 2006).
- UK imports in 2007 included 8.4 million cubic metres of sawnwood, 3.9 million cubic metres of woodbased panels and 9.1 million tonnes of pulp and paper.
- The total value of wood product imports in 2007 was £6.8 billion, of which £4.2 billion was pulp and paper. Pulp and paper also accounted for the majority of exports, generating £1.4 billion in 2007 out of a total of £1.6 billion for all wood product exports.
UK Wood Production and Trade (provisional figures)
Tel: 0131 314 6171
September 2008 (final results for 2007 - see Forestry Facts & Figures 2008 and Forestry Statistics 2008)
May 2009 (provisional results for 2008)