Are you thinking about planting trees on your land?
If so, the Glastir Woodland Creation scheme may be able to help you.
The scheme provides:
- financial support to create new native and mixed woodland
- specialist advice and support free of charge
Read on to find out more about the Glastir woodland creation scheme.
Who can apply for a Glastir Woodland Creation grant?
All landowners in Wales with more than 0.25 hectares of land are eligible to apply for the scheme - you do not have to be a farmer to apply, nor do you need to be in the Glastir scheme already.
See the Glastir Woodland Creation Scheme rules for more details.
What are the Glastir Woodland Creation grant rates?
There are three parts to the Glastir Woodland Creation grant:
- An establishment grant paid over three years
- A fencing grant which includes an allowance for gates and stiles.
- An income foregone payment (called the Glastir Woodland Creation Premium) for land taken out of agriculture.
One of the aims of the Woodlands Element is to help deliver the increased area of woodland that the Welsh Government has committed to in its strategy, Woodlands for Wales.
The Woodlands Element is made up of:
- the Woodland Creation scheme (which is delivered by Forestry Commission Wales on behalf of the Welsh Government*)
- the Woodland Management scheme (which is delivered by the Welsh Government’s Glastir team)
The Woodlands Element is a stand-alone part of Glastir – if you have already applied for the Glastir All-Wales element (AWE), you can still apply for a Glastir Woodland Creation grant. Equally, you do not have to already be in Glastir to apply for a woodland creation grant.
*The Glastir Woodland Creation scheme will continue to be run by Forestry Commission Wales and, subsequently, by Natural Resources Wales (which comes into being on 1st April 2013) on behalf of the Welsh Government until 1 January 2014.
How do I apply for a Glastir Woodland Creation grant?
All applications must be made by a Glastir Woodland Creation Officer on behalf of the landowner – this service is free of charge to the applicant.
Glastir Woodland Creation Officers are woodland consultants who have been approved by Forestry Commission Wales to provide advice and submit applications.
The Woodland Creation Officer will:
- check that land is in an area designated as suitable for planting
- carry out a site visit
- explain the scheme rules
- develop a planting plan for the landowner's approval
- submit a grant application on the landowner's behalf
Some Woodland Creation Officers may also offer additional services at a cost to applicants, for example sourcing and supplying the trees.
You can either select a Woodland Creation Officer from the approved list or ask Forestry Commission Wales to allocate one to you.
Contact Forestry Commission Wales for an information pack or to make an application.
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Tel: 0300 068 0300
- Write to: Forestry Commission Wales, Clawdd Newydd, Ruthin LL15 2NL
Please note: if you do not have a Customer Reference Number (CRN) from the Welsh Government you will need to get one and register your land before your application for a Glastir Woodland Creation grant can be approved. See the FAQs for more information.
This new brochure highlights how planting trees can contribute to a farm business. Download the PDF or contact us for a copy (see contact details above).
Glastir grants are available for planting a minimum of 0.25 hectares of land.
If you want to plant a smaller area than this, the Woodland Trust may be able to offer you support with their small tree pack scheme.